Thursday, September 16, 2004

Happy New Year!

I wanted to wish all my Jewish friends a Happy New Year! I did some reading on the holiday to understand it a little better so I thought I'd pass it on to you.

Rosh Hashanah is the first day of the Jewish calendar and one of the holiest days of the year. It is seen as a day of judgment, remembrance and shofar blowing. It is a day for introspection, looking at where you could make positive changes in your life. No work is supposed to be done on this day and many attend service at the synagogue where the "Shofar" or rams horn is blown, it is thought this is a call to repentance. A food tradition is dipping apples in honey to signify starting the new year on a sweet note. A common greeting is L'shanah tovah (for a good year). And it is believed that on Rosh Hashanah the destiny of mankind is recorded by God (because I am not Jewish, I can write out that word, Jews are not supposed to write out the word Lord or God.) in the Book of Life. After services congregates say to each other "May you be inscribed in the Book of Life."

Blessings to my Jewish friends.

1 comment:

Dave said...

Mmmm, apples and honey are yummy. Chopped liver is yummy. Brisket is yummy. Matzo ball soup is always yummy!

Rosh Hashanah is yummy!!!

Yom Kippur, on the other hand, is not yummy at all.