Monday, June 28, 2004

Harry's Growing Up


Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azcaban Posted by Hello

Saturday night we went and saw Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. This was different than the other two movies. This Harry is getting older and bolder (as well as more handsome I think, but that's another story.) Harry meets his godfather Sirius (said like serious) Black and more about his parents and their past. This is a really building a bridge to the next installment where serious stuff starts to happen.

What is cool about this movie is that the new director brought a new set of eyes to everything. You see so many parts of Hogwarts that were not shown. It was visually stunning. From Harry's ride on Buckbeak, the exciting Quidditlach match played in a monster thunder storm to the freakish dementors, it was a feast for the eyes.

I was a little disappointed though. (I know, anytime you read a book first it happens)I felt some of the charm of the book was really missing. I just felt more satisfied with the first two on how true they were to the book. I thought that the explanation at the end was too brief and was left to ponder if you hadn't read the book would you really know what is truly happening. I'm not sure you would. But never-the-less, this movie was entertaining. From the purple Knight Bus that squeezed between two buses to Emma Thompson's wonderful portrayal of Prof. Trelawney, there were some gems to be found. You know I'll be looking to pick up a copy of it when it comes to DVD.

I finished the Da Vinci Code the other night. Will give my impressions soon.

No comments: