Monday, October 25, 2004

Curl Up with Your Pet and Read This One


A Good Read...Mostly Posted by Hello

I finished Whisker of Evil by Rita Mae Brown last night. I have to admit it did take me a little while to finish it because it took me a while to get into it to begin with.
Harry Harristeen is the main character and is joined by her two cats Pewter and Mrs. Murphy and her dog Tucker to solve a murder mystery of a local horseman who they find in the woods. There are so many other characters that at times I did find myself looking back at the list of characters at the beginning of the book, I was thankful it was there.
This book had great intentions, the storyline was good, Rita Mae showed that she is a talented writer (at points), and the characters are different and interesting. The problem I found is the how complicated Brown made the storyline at times. She seemed to want to get so much into the why and hows, the main story line sometimes got lost.
Brown has a talent for description and I appreciated it. But just as she really started picking up the pace, she would slow you down so much with description and back story that you almost forget the main plot when you got back to it.
But at the end I was mostly satisfied with the book. It was fun and different since the animals speak to each other throughout the book and helping their "humans" out whenever they can.

No comments: