Monday, May 31, 2004

Glorious Appearing..Not Really


Glorious Appearing...Not a Glorious Read. Posted by Hello

I finished reading The Glorious Appearing by Tim Lahaye and Jerry Jenkins last week. I thought that if I let it digest a little longer I might make a little more sense of it. It didn't help. I still didn't like this book that much.

First. This book, as were many of the others in the 12 book series, was too long. It could have been at least 1/3 shorter, if not more. What takes up a huge portion of this book is straight scripture. Which I really didn't think added to this book. It made it drag on. They didn't just take the passage where they were recounting, they took too many of the surrounding ones. I read the Bible and if I wanted to read the Bible I can do so, that's not what I was reading the book for.

Second. It was a cheesy ending. I felt that the authors reached too far into some passages to come up with what they did. I just don't buy it. I've read the book of Revelations and didn't see what they did at all.

Third. I wasn't happy with how Jesus was portrayed. He was not the loving God that I have come to understand. He's really pissed off in this book. Also, I don't feel that he would return saying the same things he said the first time he was here. If you are God don't you think you might come up with something more original?

Anyways...to sum it up. Too long, cheesy and a bad ending to a series that has been dragging down for several books. It seems that the authors and publishers were just trying to get the most money out of their audience. And since they are talking a prequil and sequel, I see that is the truth most definitely.

Next book Sometimes I Dream in Italian by Rita Ciresi. So far it's pretty funny. Will let you know.

And I am pondering reading ...Anna Korenia by Tolstoy which Oprah's reading for her summer book club...I know it's Tolstoy...but it sounds interesting. I'm glad to see someone on TV pushing more difficult literature. We need more of that

No comments: