Tuesday, July 29, 2003

What I Read...

I just got finished with Regina McBride's The Land of Women. This is one of five books I picked out of the books bins here at work and this is success number 2.
This is a story about a young women name Fiona and her single mother Jane. Fiona spends the book remembering her childhood and early womenhood growing up in a desolate area of Ireland from her new home in New Mexico where her father had moved to be a photographer. Jane has a talent for sewing and makes her living making lavish wedding dresses for local brides. Fiona also has this gift but uses it for different reasons. Jane longs to marry and in fact one of her dresses becomes an obsession for her and she lies to the bride claiming she ruined it by spilling iodine on it and gives the bride her money back. In fact she spends hours and hours working on this dress, making it more and more spectacular in the hopes that one day she will wear it when she marries. The dress takes on a life of its own and becomes a central theme in the story.
I don't want to give more away, but it was a fun read.

I started the third book I picked from the book bins A Whole World of Trouble by Helen Chappell. I am enjoying it so far and look forward to reading further. Will let you know how it turns out. I can't believe I picked so well. There had to be a bad book between the two left sitting on my bookshelf.

No comments: