Monday, July 14, 2003

Read Anything Good Lately?

I have! I finished reading 2 good books this weekend. First is Mrs. Mike by Benedict and Nancy Freedman. I came across these authors by accident. I picked up a copy of the sequel to the book The Search for Joyful: A Mrs. Mike Story earlier this year and really enoyed it so I had to get the original. Mrs. Mike is set in the early 1900's in the northwestern reaches of Canada. Mrs. Mike is a young (16 when she marries) bride of a mountie who sees over outposts in the great north. It is written well, is funny and often poinent. The sequel is about her daughter and is worth the read too. The kicker? The 1st book came out in the early 40's, the sequel? 2002!

The other book was a great read. It's called The Young Wan: An Agnes Browne Novel by Brenden O'Carroll. This is the author's fourth book on this character. He went backwards in her life from being a grandmother, to this book from her birth to her marriage. This book is dark at times and other you will be laughing hard. I know I will be looking for his three other books in the bookstore.

No comments: