Wednesday, December 03, 2003

The Bible’s Lost Stories

I read this weeks cover story in Newsweek about women in the Bible and how many think their roles have been either misinterpreted or just changed because the male hierarchy of the church didn't want to give true legitimacy to women and the power they could/should be able to hold.The Bibles Lost Stories

This story has come to a head it seems because of the recent best seller called the The Da Vinici Code. Part of it talks about that Mary Magdalene, a close follower of Jesus, was actually much closer to him than a friend, confidant or believer, but his wife. It is very controversial and the Catholic church, which if you don't know, I am Catholic, believes the book to be very anti-Catholic and speculative.

I thought the article was very interesting. Just by reading the bible, I know that Jesus was close to many women and respected them. In fact women are important in the life andgenealogyy of Jesus named, so they weren't unimportant. There are women named throughout his genealogy. And I could believe that Mary (some are saying her name should really be Miriam) was an apostle of Christ or a close follower. Being Jesus was unconventional and all that wouldn'tsurprisee me.) But I am unsure about him being married. Yes it was typical for Jewish men of the time to be married, but there was nothing typical about this man. It seems simplistic to me. And so many of the things in the Da Vinci code seemed to be aimed at conspiracies and tarnishing the church traditions I'm just not there with it. But I would believe that women did have a greater role in the church and I believe we should continue to receive more. I am for tradition, that is one of the great things about belonging to this church, the age-old traditions and not changing something just for the heck of it. But I am for the survival of the church and giving women and girls a true sense that they do have a vital role in the church. Women do so much in most churches. They keep so many programs running but the roles are so limited. Anyways, read the story and see what you think. I am worried that some women will want to change things just to put women in roles so they can be there and not because they historically should be there. We must tread carefully.


No comments: