Tuesday, October 21, 2003

I saw babies everywhere...

There were babies EVERYWHERE in the newsroom yesterday it seemed. There were 4 tiny ones making their way through the place. And boy were they cute, so were the girls.

We were talking about weird baby names because of this and there was an article in the Trib's features section about the strange names people are giving their kids these days. Included where L'oreal, Celica and Buckshoot. Skippy Simanoff and I decided you should have your parental rights taken away if you say that naming your kid after a car is a good idea.

I have always been a fan of old, traditional names. I have one, Sarah, yes it is at the top of popularity for little girls these days, but it has been around since the time of Abraham. There is a history with these old names, people in your family before have had them. Looking back at my mother's side of her family, her name, Anne, is the most common women's name. There were prob. at least 100 Anne Kinder's (her maiden name) since 1600. And I think that is cool. It gives you a sense of history, of place. I don't know, maybe I am old-fashioned and missing some point of giving your child a name that you think is unique. But I don't think so and I'm OK with being labeled old-fashioned in this case. Just not labeled old. :-)

No comments: