Thursday, March 17, 2005

Mine Irish Eyes Are Smiling!

Happy St. Patrick's Day. According to the 2000 U.S. Census more than 34 million Americans claim Irish heritage. I am one of those. My mother's grandparents came from Limerick, Ireland, the O'Conners. My Mom talks about her grandfather O'Conner who wouldn't let you leave his home of St. Patricks Day without something green on to celebrate. My bloodline has taken many twists and turns and now includes German from Obergailbach (which is now France) and areas in Prussia, now Poland. And now I'm married to a first generation Hungarian-American.

But today it's all about the Irish. So wear your green and have some Irish brew. I'll be toasting my great-grandparents and thanking them for my grandmother who of course gave me my mother thus allowing me to be here, the mutt that I am.

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

No comments: