Tuesday, September 23, 2003

They Say It's My Birthday!

Yes, it is true, today is my birthday. I am now officially 29. I can't believe I had to type that, 29. The last year in my 20's, although my Uncle Mike would say I am now in my 30th year, but I am not ready for that one.

Besides being the first day of Fall, here's some famous people who share my birthday:

Singer Ani DiFranco (1970)
Actor Jason Alexander from Seinfeld fame (1959)
The boss and singer Bruce Springsteen (1949)
Actor Micky Rooney (1920)


Some important things that have happened on September 23 through out the ages are:

1642 The first commencement at Harvard College in Cambridge, MA, was held.
1779 John Paul Jones, commander of the American warship Bon Homme, was quoted as saying, "I have not yet begun to fight!"
1780 John Andre, a British spy, was captured with papers revealing that Benedict Arnold was going to surrender West Point, NY, to the British.
1806 The Lewis and Clark expedition reached St. Louis, MO, and ended the trip to the Pacific Northwest.
1838 Victoria Chaflin Woodhull was born. She became the first female candidate for the U.S. Presidency.
1939 Sigmund Freud died in London. He was recognized as the founder of psychoanalysis.
1952 Richard Nixon gave his "Checkers Speech." At the time he was a candidate for U.S. Vice President.
1962 New York's Philharmonic Hall opened. It was the first unit of the Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts. The hall was later renamed the Avery Fisher Hall.
1974 Sarah Anne Knupke was born in Ft. Wayne, Indiana at about 7 in the morning.
1990 Iraq publicly threatened to destroy Middle East oil fields and to attack Israel if any nation tried to force it from Kuwait.
1991 U.N. weapons inspectors find documents detailing Iraq's secret nuclear weapons program. The find in Baghdad triggered a standoff with authorities in Iraq.
1993 The Israeli parliament ratified the Israel-PLO accord.
1999 A 17-month-old girl fell 230 feet from the Capilano Suspension bridge in North Vancouver, British Columbia. The girl had bruises, but no broken limbs from the fall onto a rocky ledge.

And my horoscope for today reads:

You are sincere, helpful and always concerned about everyone else. You are dedicated and loyal and can easily find a solution to any problem that may crop up.

No comments: