Thursday, December 07, 2006

Remembering Grandma

My paternal Grandmother died yesterday from cancer. It's a strange feeling hearing those words that a loved one is now permanently gone from your life. Even though we knew it would be soon. And when I saw my parents phone number on the caller-id at work I knew that's what the call was going to be about.

Grandma was a tough lady. She lived with great gusto. And even though I didn't always get along with her I knew that she loved her family greatly. I was/am honored to be her granddaughter.

So as I head north to Ohio this weekend I remember all the Christmas holidays she spent here in Florida with us. Her spaghetti and meatballs that no one could replicate. Her driving every winter, alone until a few years ago to come down here. Her desire to live and to see her children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren grow.

I'll miss you Grandma. You're finally free of the cancer, the pain. Your home. God speed.

No comments: