Saturday, July 30, 2005

Lifes Reality Checks

Growing up as a little girl I always imagined and believed that once you found that person you wanted to marry and had the big day it was smooth sailing in the relationship department. I mean you were in love and that's all you needed right?

I even had really good marital pre-counseling and none of it prepares you for just how hard being married is. It is a job in its self. You have to work to make it work, and even then sometimes it just doesn't because the other person doesn't want to do the work.

Something so little as actually listening and asking about how you are and really meaning it. When you know something is important to your spouse, making it important to you. And the little things. So many times it's the little things that can make all the difference in the world. A kiss, a hug, a card, remembering when you should. It all adds up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think during those times of disharmony in a marriage (and there will be many during your life together)it always helps to remember what you love best about your spouse, and try to keep a healthy perspective about their annoying habits. I try to think to myself, "Sure, his leaving dirty dishes in the sink really drives me crazy, but he can sure make me laugh when I really need to." Or you can look at it this way: If you cured him of all that annoys you, you also might cure him of all that you love about him. Ya gotta take the good with the bad, as the wedding vows so wisely point out.