Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Grave Markers


So how many of you out there have a folder on your computer called Grave Markers? As I was transferring files I started thinking that I might be a little strange for having one. See a few years back I got interested in my families genealogies. And through searching the Internet I found a distant cousin of my Mom's who had done extensive work on the Kinder side of my family (back to the 1600's). The next time I was in Ft. Wayne (my mom's hometown) I found myself in the cemetery with my Mom and Aunt Pat finding family graves. We found ones we knew about (like the one above which is my Mom's grandfather) and ones we didn't know were there, family members dating to the early 1900's.

There's something very grounding (sorry for the pun) about being in a cemetery, especially standing in front of graves of ancestors from many years gone by. I remember thinking I wonder what these people were like, what they looked like. It's also grounding because it's an ending that everyone faces and you can't hide from it in a cemetery.

So I don't think I'm that strange having a folder named Grave Markers, because really it's a family photo album of a sort.

No comments: