Tuesday, February 13, 2007

V-Day

So tomorrow's Valentine's Day. I've been thinking a lot about the day recently. And no, it's not what I should buy my husband. It's the idea that a nice little holiday once again has been corrupted by retailers and the media. The innocence of the day is gone. Even the kids are in on it. Now there's customer valentines and specialty candies instead of handmade cards and the hard candies shown above. For the adult kid - it's diamonds and watches.

I don't get it.

Believe me, I'm not a grumpy person. I love the idea of a day set aside for to highlight love. With all the negative things flying around we need a lot more of the stuff. But I do think a re-evaluation is needed. It's not about spending money, but about spending time. It's about the little things. Remembering the things that your loves love. Being there for them. Saying "I love you," just because or bringing home a gift when society doesn't mandate it but because you thought of that person.

So tomorrow, as every morning, I will tell my husband I love him. And at the end of the day too. Not because it's that holiday, but because I do and it's good to hear and say. And that's what you do when you love someone. You try to make as many days as you can set aside to love.

Happy Valentine's Day.

No comments: