Monday, August 15, 2005

Secret Life of Bees


This is one of the best books I've read in a long time and I highly recommend it. Her language skills are superb and her storytelling top notch. Some of the characters I loved so much I wanted to jump in the book and meet them.
The book is set in 1964 in South Carolina during the tumultuous racial integrations that were sweeping the country. In the midst of it all a young white girl finds herself in a home of three African American sisters named August, June and May who blur racial lines and show her true compassion and help her on her journey to healing after living with an incredibly abusive father and coming to terms with what happened to her mother who died when she was four. The bees are an literary tool used to tie the human experience together. I'm sad it's over because the time I spent reading it I found myself savoring it and drinking in the details. I can't wait to read another one of her novels. I now have really high expectations of this author now that I know what she is capable of.

No comments: