Wednesday, February 03, 2010

What I learned...

I was unemployed for more than six months in the past year. I saw more episodes of TV shows than I care to admit. I stayed in my PJ's many a day. I wrote and sent probably 100 resumes and cover letters - maybe more! I cried, I yelled, I was depressed. Now that I've got a new job to start I've reflected on the past year.

Losing your job once, let alone two times in one year is a blow to ones ego. I had thought I was important to my work places. Nah. They moved on without me.

So here are some of what I've learned in the past year:

1. Nothing stays the same. Flexibility is important to survive these tough times. It will serve you well in life.
2. It isn't personal, but it is. Most likely it was a financial decision that caused me to lose my job and many others who are in the same boat. But at the same time, it is deeply personal to the person it is effecting. For those who know the unemployed, understand that. They most likely are mad, sad, pissed, mortified, devastated. You can't know until it happens to you.
3. It's OK to ask for help. It's hard to get a job. Especially now. You need to tell everyone you know you are out of work. Asking others for help getting the work out, passing along your resume, looking at your resume, giving a reference or just listening to you.
4. Be good to yourself. Eat well, exercise, go to local parks, visit friends and family, read those books you've been meaning to and anything else that can bring you joy. There are so many things you can do for little or no money, look for them! Being happier will make you a better job candidate.

5 comments:

wiredogs said...

It's an opportunity to get to know yourself. So much of life is spent on chores and tasks,"getting there" and opposed to wondering it is where you really want to go. Reading books, talking walks and spending time with people (and animals) who mean a lot to you can help you discover who you are and who you want to be. Unemployment is also a good way to learn humility and compassion. Too bad there's no salary involved!

Cyndee Gonzalez said...

I am glad you have a good outlook in life. You can influence others in a positive way. I am very green in this internet blogging; just started a few days ago and still learning how to blog and to find blogs/topics that will attract my interest.

Lisa said...

Hello, I was just Blog-Hopping and ran across your blog. Very Nice!

Be Well...

IceAngelGuardian said...

What an amazing story... I'm a university student, a little worried about being able to find a job, never mind a job, a passion that makes me go (Insert yippee picture here!) But its amazing that you were able to write down what you learned.
Thank you.

Shanel said...

This is a really good post... my hubby has been out of work for more than a year and it really affected his self-esteem and our marriage. you are so right about everything that you said.... and while I am at a dead end job--- that I hate... I guess I should be thankful... thanks for putting things in perspective for me this afternoon and I hope you have a good weekend.